Thursday, December 15, 2011

Homemade Gatorade and Pedialyte



   I love these two recipes I don’t have to use the pedialyte
now that the girls are older. We do use the Gatorade
all the time my husband likes it better then the store bought.
     At the beginning of summer I will buy about a dozen gatoaids on sale then I reuse the bottles all summer. I hold on to all store bought bottles (gatoraid, Soda,good water bottles I don’t keep the flimsey water bottle they get holes in them to quick ) that I can get. I have saved all the ones from this summer so hopefully I wont have to buy any more for a long time .


Home Made Pedialyte
2 Quarts Water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute
1 packet sugar-free Kool-Aid*
*optional but gives flavor
   Mix all together well and store in refrigerator for no more than 3 days. You can also freeze this into ice cubes to put into child's cup or bottle. You can also make Popsicles from it.
     Tape this inside a kitchen cabinet door for easy reference. There's nothing worse than a sick kid in the middle of the night and you know that you have this recipe but can't find it and/or the stores are closed! I showed my pediatrician this and she actually hands it out to her patients. I have used regular Kool-Aid since it is optional anyways for even more savings (they go on sale 10 for $1). I never substitute the salt substitute, regular salt dehydrates. If you don't have it on hand don't add it. This recipe has saved a bundle verses the named brand Pedialyte and even the store versions. I figure that 2 quarts costs about .25 using the regular Kool-aid.
 Homemade Gatorade
 
 
1 pkg unsweetened kool-aid (any flavor)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon salt substitute (potassium chloride) 2 quarts water
Just stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Chill.

1 comment:

  1. on the pedialyte mix : if you add the non sweetened variety, should you up the sugar to 1C? or would it be a bit too tart for small children to want to drink it? doesn't sugar free koolaid contain some form of sweetener in it? (I hate the fake sugars and don't give any to the kids, neither do their moms)
    on the gatorade mix : you say salt dehydrates, yet both salt and salt substitute are in the recipe? HELP, my grands are big into sports, but gatorade is horrible for them, as much liquid as they down, and yes, they drink LOTS of good ole H2O; they just get tired of the non-flavor sometimes.
    TIA

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.