Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Apple Butter

My family loves this. I have a niece that all she ask for at Christmas is my apple butter.It is a little time consuming but not to hard to do.

For every 6 lbs of apples you will need
2 Tablespoons salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp allspice



First I cut the apples into quarters put in a large pan and cover with water.
 
Cook until soft.

 
Using a slotted spoon I take the cooked apple out of the pan and put into a bowl. There will be some liquid in with them that is alright.

 
Put through a food mill or strainer


 
this is what it will look like.
 
 
when done you will have a pan of applesauce.
 
Add sugar and spices mix well. If it is to thick add back a little of the strained liquid that you cooked them in.
 
 


I cooked mine a little longer then I needed to but this is about how thick you want it to be.
 
Pour hot butter into pint jars and water bath for 10 minutes adjust this to your altitude I have to do mine for 25 minutes.




 
Take out of canner and let cool.




1 comment:

  1. Yummy!!!!!! I've been waiting on this! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.