Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Preserved Lemons



I love preserved lemons I use them on chicken , instead of zest , on fish, make a syrup out of them I even eat them plain ( reminds me of when I was a kid and we would eat on a whole lemon all day long with lots of salt). They are so easy to make you do have to let them sit at least a couple months before you use them and they keep over a year.


 
Start by washing the lemons in vinegar water.





Then cut the tops and the bottoms off.


 
Then run a slit down the middle but not all the way.

 
Then down the other side also not all the way. Then open up like this.

 
In a half gallon (or what ever size you want) put a little salt in the bottom.


 
Put about a tablespoon of salt in the middle.


 
And fill the jar about half way.

 
Then push them down and add more salt and more lemons.


 
Once it is full of lemons push down and add more salt to cover the top.
 
 
Fill the rest of the way with fresh lemon juice, should already be about half full of juice from pushing down the lemons.

 
 Cover and let sit a couple weeks on the counter turning upside down once on a while salt to get all mixed in. Then put in the fridge for a couple months before you can start using.
 
 
Here is what it will look like you can't tell but the juice is pretty thick. This is what I have left over from last year so I will still have some to use until the new is ready.


5 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I've never heard of doing lemons this way. But, in the olden days they used salt for preserving a lot of stuff. My one recollection would be reading about them using salt to preserve beef on the ships that went up and down the Colorado river. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did something similar with Meyers lemons about a month ago. I can't wait until I can start using it. I put it in the outside pantry so I wouldn't be tempted to get into it before it was ready! Thanks for sharing I always look forward to your posts! Elle
    http://www.aviewfromthecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did something similar to this with Basil. Only I used olive oil instead of lemon juice. I wonder how many things we can this technique on .

    ReplyDelete
  4. how do you use these? It looks very interesting!

    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of this. I am intrigued. Of course salt is a wonderful preservative. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.