Thursday, February 14, 2013

Week 6 Food Storage Challenge












Week 6: 6 lbs yeast / Garden seeds get Heirlooms or non hybrid, so you can save seeds for next year.

You can store your yeast in the freezer to give it a longer self life. Look into sour dough for when there is no yeast or you are short on yeast. Sour dough is easy to use , taste good and you can make a lot of different things with it.
I order my bulk yeast and spices from Bulk Herbs. We don’t have a large discount store ( Costco or Sams) close so I try to order a lot of these kinds of things
Try and get non hybrid or heirloom seeds and plants and save the seeds for next year so you will always have seeds.

Start planning your garden now even if you are in a small space you can plant a few things. Every little bit helps. There are a lot of ideas and helps on the internet and library for small space gardening.

3 comments:

  1. I am planting a few extra plants this year just for the purpose of saving seeds. Things that I only have 1 or 2 seeds of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dehydrated Potatoes? What are those like? What do you use them for? Sorry, but you've peaked my interest. I do enjoy reading about your preps. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Kim,
    That is a good idea. If you can raise your own seed you save money and you don't have to worry about not being able to find any the next year.

    @Laurie,
    Thanks
    I buy my potatoes once a year so I dry and freeze some, to have after the fresh are gone. I use my dried potatoes in stews, scalloped, mash them, and with roast.

    Connie

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.