Thursday, March 8, 2012

Whole Wheat Flour tortillas

In my quest to be come as self sufficient as I can I am having to make some of the things that I just automatically bought at the store, tortillas is on of these things. It has taken me a while to find a recipe that I like, I found one and as always I have to tweak it a little, so here is how I make my whole wheat tortillas. It is nice to know I don’t have to depend on the store for these and that they are so much better for you.






Whole Wheat Flour tortillas

2 Cups Whole-wheat flour
2 Cups White flour
2 Tsp Salt
1 ½ tsp Baking powder
¾ Tsp yeast
2 Tbl. Wheat Gluten (You can get wheat gluten at wal-mart in the baking aisle it is invaluable when cooking with wheat flour)
6 Tbl. Lard (or Shortening
1 1/3 very warm water (not to hot to touch)


Mix the flours salt baking soda wheat Gluten and yeast add the lard Use a fork to mix in the lard ( I use my Kitchen aid to mix ) after well worked in add the warm water and knead lightly to a soft dough. Cover with a cloth and let rest 15 minute. Heat a heavy based frying pan or griddle. Pull out a fist sized ball and roll out on a lightly floured surface, not to thin. Cook for 11/2 to 2 minutes, turning as soon as the surface starts to bubble. It should stay flexible Remove from the pan and wrap in a dishtowel to keep warm while cooking the remaining tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.