Thursday, December 13, 2012

Canning Caramelized Onions



I am Canning some of my onions, these are so good you can eat them on sandwiches or just warm up to eat like fried onions.


First I started with a large pan of onions.
 
Peeled off  the skins
 
 
 
 
 
 
Slice in half.

 
Then cut into slices.



 I filled a large roaster pan with the sliced onions and two sticks of butter or margarine. I did end up adding one more stick of butter add as much butter as needed to keep from sticking.

 
 
I cooked it for several hours as you can see it reduces down a lot about 3/4 and very browned. Then put in your pint jars you do not need to add anything else. Put your lids and rings then pressure can for 75 minutes at 15 pounds or what your owners manual recommends for your altitude 

 
 
As you can see they do get a little darker in the canner. I have always warmed them before I use them. A great way to keep your onions
 

5 comments:

  1. How did you decide what pressure/how long to can these at? Are you working from an approved recipe? I'm just curious because I've always thought that you couldn't can products with a high fat content (in this case, from the butter) because the heat won't penetrate sufficiently. I love caramelized onions and would love to know if this is a tested recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy,
      Thanks for stopping by
      I do not remember where I found this recipe I have been doing this for a few years with no problem. I do process at 75 min because of the fat content and that is what I can my meat at.
      Also for the amount of onions there isn't to much butter.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre! http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been looking for a long time for the timing for pressure canning onion soup. Do you think it would be the same as for your caramelized onions? I can't seem to find the information anywhere. I guess I could just do the onions and then make the soup from a jar of onions, but I do so want an "instant" open and eat it soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie,
      When I can my onion soup I use the same time and pressure as the caramelized onions ( 75 min for pints and 90 min for quarts at 15 pounds of pressure.)
      Connie

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.