Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Make Your Own Jello with Kool-Aid


OK I know a lot of people make their own jello using fruit juice. We don’t always have a lot of extra juice and it is to expensive to buy just to make jello out of so I use Kool-Aid as I have mentioned before I buy a lot of kool-Aid when it on sale. If you use Kool-Aid to make jello with then you can have a large variety of flavors. I buy my gelatin in bulk ( At bulkfoods.com) so it is a lot cheaper then in the grocery store.


Jello with Kool-aid
2 Tablespoons gelatin
1 cup sugar
1 pack kool-Aid
4 cups water


 
 
Start with the kool-aid of choice, sugar, and gelatin. 






Add 1 cup of sugar 2 Tablespoons of gelatin and 1 pack of kool-aid in a medium size bowl.



 
Mix together well

 
 
Add 2 cups of boiling water and stir well until  everything is dissolved.

 
Add two cups cold water, I put ice in my water to help the jello set up faster.
 
 

 
stir until the ice is all melted.

 
 
put in the fridge to set up, takes about 2 hours.
If you want to make your own jello cups just pour into small reusable containers with lids then put into the fridge to set up.

 
and you have  yummy jello.

 
If you want a little softer jello just don't add as much gelatin.
 
 
If you are going to use fruit juice just remember 4 cups liquid to 2 Tablespoons of gelatin.
 
 
 
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. So cool! Love the idea of making it from scratch. And, I bet you do get more of a flavor variety with using the kool-aid. My boys are gonna love this one!
    Hope you are having a great week!
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy,
      I love having the variety of flavors and my girls love them.
      Connie

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your post on The Creative HomeAcre Hop!
    I hope to see you back tomorrow for our next hop!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/04/the-creative-homeacre-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could I double or triple this using these measurments... and could i cut the water in half to weild a denser jello? I need a 20 2x2 inch jello squares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceara,
      I haven't doubled this before but I don't see why you couldn't. I would think you could cut the water in half to get a denser Jiggler type Jello. I would add it all as hot water, and not add cold water. Hope this helps
      Connie

      Delete
  4. I will try it and post my results thank you for the advice and help :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those of you that can't do the sugar...try 2 to 3 tablespoons of Truvia instead. I use 2 but i prefer it less sweet. People used to sugar would want to use 3.

    ReplyDelete
  6. KoolAid is a great tasty frugal cooking item. I also use it to flavor cookies, cakes, and icing. Great variety, color, and taste!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Contact me at American Quality Foods. We have 17 flavors of Gelatin and we use the same flavoring as Jolly Rancher for our Watermelon. We have unique flavors such as Candy Apple and Orange Pineapple to name a few. We carry in bulk and per case. You can reach me at 8003487416 ext 211 or ask for Dennis. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This came out great! Kool-aid isn't my thing and someone gave some to me last Christmas in a gift basket. It's a little too sweet for me though! Next time I'll cut down on the sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a diabetic I have to watch my sugar intake, this recipe is helpful to me because I can use the sweenter of my choice. Most diet jello contains aspartame which I am deathly allergic to. My daughter and I tried this recipe and loved it. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have made this multiple times now and the versatility is wonderful. I have a diabetic grandfather so I cut the sugar in half and he loves his dessert that he stopped being able to eat plus it helps with his lack of solid hold on his teeth. Then I have a sweet tooth mother and neighbors. I still cut the sugar but I also cut the water in half for a more strong flavor and then I make homemade marshmallow that I add in and melt. It separates during cooling and pulls flavor. They rave about it. I made it for years with box Jello but I struggled to justify my homemade marshmallows in boxed Jello. I don't eat sweets but I cook them because I would rather my mother not eat out of a box. I also found that you don't have to 2 step it. I have a boil kettle and it works great. Thanks for a beautiful recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.