Thursday, May 10, 2012

Homemade Fabric Softener

The girls have been saying they would like to use fabric softener again for the smell and the softness, but I just can’t bring my self to pay that high price for softener, so I did a little research. I found a lot of people use straight white vinegar but I wanted something that had a scent, I found one softener that uses cheap hair conditioner and vinegar. So I went to the dollar store and found some conditioner that smelled pretty good and made some, the girls love it I have to admit I like it to it makes the cloths softer ( I line dry and they tend to be a little stiff) and they have a nice scent. I Know it is not a very self-sufficient thing but sometimes you have to give a little and it is cheap to make.
  
Homemade Fabric Softener


3 cups warm water
1/2  cups white vinegar
1 1/2 cups conditioner
essential oil (optional.)

Direction: Pour all ingredients into a half-gallon container and stir. Don't shake or it will make an extreme mess! Add essential oils if desired and stir again!

To use: Add the same amount you would the store bought kind about 1/4 cup during the rinse cycle.

4 comments:

  1. 11/2 cup?? How much is that in grams?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for clarification, is "11/2" 11 'half cups', or one and a half cups misspelled?

    I mean, 11/2 seems like a lot. 5 and a half cups of conditioner and vinegar, with only 3 cups of water? That ratio sounds a little off...

    About the 1/4 cup per load dose: is this for HE machines or older top loading machines?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure what the density of conditioner is, but you could just make it with a 3:1.5:1.5 ratio by volume.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1 1/2 cups conditioner is 337. grams.
    Sorry it is one and a half cups of conditioner
    I have a HE machine and I use a 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup per load hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.