Thursday, May 17, 2012

How to Extract Juice From Pineapple Rinds and Cores

I found pineapple on sale so I bought 21. I canned them and had all the rinds and cores left, it seemed such a waste to just put in the compost pile. So I thought I would see if I could get some juice from the rinds. I was very pleased with what I got.


How to Extract Juice From Pineapple Rinds and Cores
I cut the cores into 2 to 3 inch chunks and cut the rinds in to quarters.
Then place the pineapple skins and cores in a pot large enough to hold everything.
Fill the pot with just enough water to cover the pineapple skins. Add about 2 cups of sugar for ever 8 pineapples ( you can add more or less depending on how sweet you want the juice to be ) I added the sugar to help extract the juice from the rinds.
Set the pot on your stovetop over medium heat. Cover the pot with its lid and bring the pineapple skins to a boil. I boiled mine for about 4 hours then turned off the heat and let sit a couple more hours( I was in a hurry, I think if I would have let it sit longer I would have gotten more juice.) Allow the pineapple skin juice to cool completely before straining. Hot liquid can splash during the straining process, causing serious burns.
Pour the contents of the pot through a strainer, collecting the liquid in a large bowl underneath. Discard the pineapple skins remaining in the strainer.
You can put the juice in the fridge to drink right away or you can can or freeze it. I canned mine as I had quite a lot.
To can it bring the juice to a boil and pour in to quart or pint jars and process in a water bath canner for 15 min. for pints and 20 min for quarts.
I got 7 quarts and 5 pints from 20 rinds not to bad for what would have been placed in the compost pile.

3 comments:

  1. Connie, this is a way cool idea. Nothing goes to waste - love it. Pineapple rinds can also be used to make homemade pineapple vinegar, which I've actually tried, and it worked. I got instructions from the Down to Earth blog (Australia).
    http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2009/11/wild-fermenting-making-vinegar.html

    And the apple vinegar post:
    http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2011/05/making-vinegar-old-way.html

    brenda from ar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you just put the chunks through a juicer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did. Out of two pineapples, I got about 16oz. of juice. I was just wondering if it was safe to drink it. I see no need to add that much sugar to the pineapple. I am Diabetic, and don't want that much sugar. Natural are why I eat fresh fruits.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.