Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Canning Oranges

 
 
I am finally getting my oranges canned I had hoped to have this done a little sooner oh well at least they are now done. Next I need to get all those lemons done.
 
 
First I put them in boiling water for about 3 to 4 minutes this softens the skins so they are easier to peel.
 
 
 
Take out of the boiling water and put into a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process.
 
 
Then I cut the ends off .
 
 
 and then score the orange about 4 to 5 times depending on the size of the orange.
 
 
 
 
then peel the pieces off they should come off very easy. save these peels for candied orange slices. I will show you how to do those in a couple days.
</

 

 
 
Section your oranges try to get off the extra pith and strings these don't have hardly any seeds so I am not worrying about the seeds.
 
Put the sections into your sterilized jars.
 
you can just cover with water but it will effect the color of you fruit Or you can cover with a simple syrup I am using a med to heavy syrup because these oranges are not very sweet.
I took10 cups of water and 7 cups of sugar bring to a boil then turn off.
 
pour the syrup on top of the oranges leave 1/2 inch head space.
 
after covered with syrup let sit a couple minutes then run a knife along the sides to get out the air bubbles add more syrup if needed.
 
Wipe the rims off then put your rings and lids on and put in a water bath ( make sure the jars a completely covered with water) for 10 minutes for quarts and for pints be sure to adjust for altitude for my altitude I have to add 15 minutes to the ten minutes if you are unsure of what the requirements are for your altitude you can check here.
 
 
 
You can use these in fruit salads or just eat them.
 

6 comments:

  1. Well, I come to return the blog visit and find this absolutely fantastic post! I love canning and this looks like a real treat to add to the pantry. Now all I need is for oranges to go on sale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never canned oranges before...thanks for the information. What a great way to save them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never even given any idea to canning oranges! What a wonderful idea. Andi the wednesday baker

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy and Andi,
    Thanks for stopping by.
    It is so nice to have them canned then you can have them even when they are not in season. Plus if you can't get them all ate they don't go to waste.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if you can make oranges, fruit cocktail, pecans, coconut, and cherries (we call this ambrosia) with simple syrup and can it??

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.