Monday, January 28, 2013

My Cold / Flu Pills

 
At the beginning of cold and flu season I make up a bunch of these then if anyone feels like they are trying to catch something or if something is going around we start taking these in addition to the Vitamins C and D3 and zinc . They seem to keep us from getting sick and if we do catch something they seem to shorten it.





I use equally amounts of Garlic, Thyme, Ginger, Mint, and Cayenne pepper.
I am trying to use things that I have readily available then if something happens and I can’t order any thing I can still make these. The only thing I don’t have readily available is the Ginger but I think it is pretty important so I will use it as long as I can and find something to replace it with when I have to.
Here is what each of these things do.
Garlic
A natural antibiotic, anti fungal and antibacterial, garlic can tackle almost any illness. Garlic strengthens the immune system against colds and flu and is especially useful in treating children. It helps in cases of bronchitis, one of the symptoms of the current flu. . Garlic is also an expectorant, helping to loosen mucus so that it can be expelled from the lungs with coughing.
You can grind your own, by drying your garlic cloves Available from the supermarket , health food store or you can grow your own and dry then powder it in your spice mill or blender.
 
 
Ginger
Strengthens the immune system and helps your body fight colds and flu, as well as bronchitis, cough, sinus congestion, and headaches. Available from the supermarket or health food store as fresh root, or powder .
 
Thyme
Is a natural antiseptic and its natural expectorant properties make it excellent for throat or bronchial problems. Available from the supermarket , health food store or you can grow your own and dry then powder it in your spice mill or blender.
 
Cayenne
Is a powerful anti-oxidant , antibacterial, anti-tumor, anti-fungal, and anti-viral. It increases blood flow to hands and feet. It relieves nausea and fights bacterial infections. Cayenne removes toxins from the body. Its also an expectorant and helps to treat cough, and sinus problems. Available from the supermarket , health food store or you can grow your own and dry then powder it in your spice mill or blender. ( If making your own powder be very careful it is very strong, you may want to wear a dust mask).
 
Mint
It is antimicrobial and antiviral. Great for all digestive disturbances and for
lowering fever. It also relieves pain. Available from the supermarket , health food store or you can grow your own ( very easy to grow) and dry then powder it in your spice mill or blender.

  

First I mix all the herbs together in a small bowl.

 


 
Then get out my Handy dandy pill maker.

 
 
Put it together
 
 
 
Get out my capsule and put into the machine

 
Then I take my herbs mixture and put in on the machine.

 
take the scrapper and slide the herbs to fill the capsules. ( yes I know my nails need some attention)

 
after you do that take the tamper and tamp it down add more herbs  repeat do this several times until you tamp down and the capsules are full.

 
drop down the top tray.
 
put the tops on the capsules.

 
remove the top tray and you have your capsules. I put mine in a used jar with a homemade label on it.


 
I try to make a bunch at a time so I don't run out just when we are needing them.

6 comments:

  1. Love this! Were did you find your pill maker? Would love to have one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      I got mine at the local health food store. If you have a health food store close they should be able to get you one if not Starwest herbs or Mountin rose herbs online. both of these places will have the empty capsules also. I use mine a lot it is so much cheaper then buying the already made herb pills.
      Connie

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much. Will be heading out to our health food store this Friday.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea it was so easy to make your own capsules. Do you dehydrate your own herbs or just buy them from the store? Thanks for sharing on Homemade Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aubrey,
      I do both when I have the herbs that I have dried I use them, If I am low or out I go ahead I buy them. I am trying to get far enough ahead with my herbs that I don't have to buy them. They are so easy to make a little time consuming but the money you can save is well worth it.
      Connie

      Delete
  3. Great idea! Thanks for sharing this on Wildcrafting Wednesday!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/01/wildcrafting-wednesday-7.html

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.