Tuesday, April 29, 2014

To Blog or not to Blog

With all the things going on in the world the droughts and plagues and viruses on a lot of our fruits and vegetables the threats of war from so many different places, and our economy I have been feeling an extra sense of urgency to get where I need to be. I have been very busy canning some extra food.

I read that bananas have a very bad virus and the type that we eat may go away it is that bad so I have been freezing and canning bananas, Milk has been on sale for 2.59 a gallon so I have been canning a bunch of it to use for cooking, I got butter and margarine on sale so I have been canning some of it. Strawberry were also on sale so I froze a bunch of them. Cheese was also on sale I bought block cheese and shredded the shredded I will put in the freezer and the block I will can. Oranges also have a virus so between that and the freezing oranges are going to go up so I bought some frozen oj and canned it. Have dried a lot of sour cream.

A friend gave me a bunch of day old bread so I toasted and ground it up for bread crumbs I have never oven canned so I thought I would try it on the bread crumbs didn’t have very good luck with it but I am going to try one more time since I really like the whole idea of it for dried stuff.

And we can’t forget about taxes we were to last minute this year have never been this late in getting them done I am also helping my dad with his but he got an extension so I have a little more time to work on them.

Trying to also get some mending done Andy is so hard on his pants and shirts I have several shirts that I need to cut the long sleeves down to short sleeves and pants to patch. Katies prom dress also need to be taken in a little.

We got half the calves branded a couple weekends ago and will try to do the rest in a couple weeks when we are all calved out.

And since I have been doing so much I have fallen behind on this blog.

So to blog or not to blog. I have been doing a lot of thinking about my blog as to whether to keep it up or stop I figure that if I am going to do it I need to stay current especially on the food storage challenge and the herbs that I said I would post once a week. The whole reason I started this was to share some of my knowledge and some of the things that I do that a lot of people may not know how to do. I am going to try and organize my schedule and make more of an effort to keep up on this. I really do enjoy doing this and I think it is more important ten ever to get information on how to do things as I think more people are going to have to start doing some of these thins. I don’t want it to seem like a job so I am going to go about things a little differently and see if that helps me stay a little more caught up.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for continuing the blog. I so enjoy reading. With what is going on with the Bundys in Nevada & the world order.....makes one wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have been very busy.
    With food prices going up, we are doing more to stretch the dollar!~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy reading your blog and gets lots of good ideas,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog awhile back and i really enjoy it. could you please tell me
    how to can orange juice.
    Thank you
    Rue

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy reading your blog. I would love to know how to can milk and block cheese. could you post on it.Or is there a link or website I can go to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so inspired by what you do and am happy you are going to continue. I would certainly understand your stopping as it's so time consuming and your family must come first, but am grateful you will try to find time for this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how much time it takes to blog and if you ar prepping you are busy already, but I do hope you will keep blogging. I enjoy what you write and it is helpful information for those who are new to prepping. Thank you for what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the blog! I've been slowing down on mine as well but hope to continue hearing from you! I didn't know about the virus in bananas and I'm always learning something new from you. Hope you can find the inspiration to keep blogging.

    -A huge fan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't come here often enough I'll admit but the way I look at your blog is a preserving of the collective memory of living on a farm/living within means. If you can spare the time I think it is of great value.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.