I had someone ask me the other day if I use coupons, and if they are worth it. I know I am going to have a lot of people disagree with me on this, but I don't think they are worth it. Here is why. But first let me say that when this idea came out many years ago, I did do it for a while and there was even a couple times I got a huge basket of groceries for just a couple dollars.
- They are very time consuming, to make it really work you have to spend hours clipping and looking, I don't have that kind of time.
- They are almost always for name brand items. I very very seldom buy name brand, generally you can get the store brand for the price of the name brand with the coupon or for a little cheaper.
- You have to shop all the stores around, and find the sales to make the coupons worth the effort. Once again I don't have that kind of time.
- I would have to either subscribe to several newspapers or go to town to get the papers to get the coupons. I can't see spending all that extra money on extra papers that are not going to get read. And since I live over ten miles from town running in and getting the papers wouldn't be worth it. I know now you can get a lot off the internet but once again time is a factor.
- Since I make most all my stuff from scratch not many of the coupons would benefit me.
- Coupons entice you to buy things that you wouldn't normally buy. That is one of the reasons they put them out there.
Now I am not saying I never use coupons, If I see one for something I am already planning on buying I will use it.
I guess for people who have a ton of time and use a lot of name brand items it might be ok. But for me I don't have the time, And I feel my homemade is far better then then store bought.
So do you use coupons and if so why, and do they benefit you? I would love to hear from you, and if you don't why do you not?