Saturday, January 2, 2016

Week 1, 2016 Food Storage Challenge


As I mentioned before, this first month will be a jump start to get a little ahead so if things go south before you can get everything you want, at least you have something to survive on.

The amounts are for two people, If you have more just double to what you need.

This first week is 50 pounds of rice. More if you can afford it.
I get white rice as it will store longer then your brown rice.
Also 50 pounds of beans, get what your family will eat. I get pintos they go a long way and are very nutritious.
(A little update, I checked the price of beans and rice at Wal-Mart. for 20 lbs of rice it is 8.92 and 20 lbs of pinto beans are 13.42. So for 60 lbs of rice it would be 26.76 and 60 lbs of pinto beans are 40.26. )

The action item for this month will be to get in shape. If things go south you will be having to do a lot more physical work  you will need to be in shape so that you will be able to do the things you need to do.

The extra item for this month is a car kit if you don't already have one. You will want one for each vehicle that your family drives. Even the teenagers. They may balk at it but do it anyway. A few days ago there was a bad accident that had the highway closed down for most of the night. people were stuck on each end that lived on the other side, so a lot of people were displaced. Joleen's boyfriend and his grandmother had come to town and were unable to get back home, and had to stay with us. But I was able to use that example as to why you should always have a car kit in your vehicle, even if you don't travel very far from home. 

Every week you will want to put back water. You can buy it, or fill your empty juice and soda bottles. You can also store water in your empty canning jars, as you empty your jars just add some water and put the lid back on. you don't have to can this water but if you wanted to you could. I will be doing a separate post on water in the near future.

Every week you will also want to put back a few dollars, even if it is on a small amount it will add up.

Have a great week



4 comments:

  1. Is the 50 pounds of rice per person? Dh won't eat rice but once in a while in a chicken and rice soup. What do you recommend in its place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trudy,
      Thank you so much for asking I completely forgot to mention that this was for 2 people I will go back and add it in to the post. My DH won't hardly eat rice either so I just store extra beans, he use to be a bean farmer so he loves beans. Just be sure to get what he likes. I do still put back a lot of rice as I and my youngest daughter love it. You can also make rice flour from it if you have a grinder.
      Hope this helps
      Connie

      Delete
  2. How do you store your rice. My hubby is not a rice eater so it just me.

    thanks and glad your back.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Thanks and it is good to be back. I store my rice in buckets, and add a couple bay leaves. Then I store it in the shed outside where it will freeze over the winter. I've not ever had a problem with it this way. If you are not in a place that get hard freezes you may want to store in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. Hope this helps
      Have a great day,
      Connie

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.