Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Car Kits


 
Since this month's action item is Car kits I would like to go over them.
 
Disasters usually occur with little or no warning, Winter storms, Natural disasters, Car problems, Being stuck in traffic for one reason or another, just to name a few. Wouldn't it be great if you have one of these, then if you do have an emergency  you have a few things to make it a little easier, and maybe even help you and your family survive.
 
Even if you have a cell phone you may be out of service, or it may just take a while for help to arrive.  
 
As I mentioned in the previous post you never know when things can go wrong, even if you are only a few miles from home. There was recently wreak in our area during a white out and the road was closed for about 10 hours. This road is the only road to the next town ( not counting dirt back roads which were snow packed). There were people stranded on both ends that lived on the other side of where they were. A lot of people were displaced, Joleens boyfriend and his Grandmother had gone to town and were stuck on this side and couldn't get home, so they ended up staying with us. Andy was on the other side trying to get back from his Mom's he had to turn around and go back to her place to stay the night. The thing is you never know when something could happen even close to home.
 
I know it takes up room in your vehicle, Katie hates having to have the extra stuff in her car. Pretty sure though if she ever needs it she will really be glad to have it.
 
So where to put all the stuff ? Even if you have a small car you can fit it all in. Ideally the stuff should be in the front with you, but I figure I am doing good just to get Katie to put it in her trunk. I have a big majority of mine in a tote in the back of my truck ( I have a cover over the back of my truck),but I also have some stuff in the front . Joleen's space is also pretty limited ,as she has all her fire gear in her jeep, but we do find room to put her stuff. So you can find room even if the stuff isn't all together.
 
It doesn't have to be super expensive. You can put one together fairly cheap. I got a lot of my stuff at the dollar store, around the house, and the rest at Wal-Mart ( I used a lot of Wal-Mart brands).
 
In addition to the car kits the girls also have car tool bags that we got them for Christmas a couple years ago. They have jumper cables, fix a flat, chains, & flares. They also have a spare tire, jack and lug wrench,( and know how to use them). Mine and Andy's trucks have all the same things just not in nice little bags.
 
Here is a list of what is in the car kits. The girls have smaller tubs and I have a larger tub with the same things just a few more of them. I figure if we are stranded in my truck chances are I will have more people with me then they will.
 
 
 
 
 Snacks You want something that you can eat hot or cold, and opens easy.
  1. A big box of crackers
  2. A bag of goldfish
  3. A small bag of animal crackers
  4. A small jar of peanut butter
  5. A couple pouches of tuna
Clothing If you have small children you may want to have a extra change of clothes, and extra diapers. The girls do carry an extra pair of shoes then if they flip flops or sandals on they have a real pair of shoes. They also most often have a extra change of clothes.
 
  1. Warm hats
  2. Warm gloves
  3. Extra socks
  4. Bandana
 Hygiene,
  1. Hand  sanitizer
  2. Diaper wipes
  3. Toothbrush and toothpaste
  4. Shampoo
  5. Soap
  6. Razor
  7. Contact case and solution
  8. T.P.
  9. Kleenex
 

Miscellaneous,
  1. Trash bags
  2. Flashlight
  3. sterno ( great to help start a fire or just use in the can to stay warm)
  4. Duck tape
  5. Rope
  6. Note pad and pen
  7.  Hand and foot warmers  
  8. Lighter
  9. Matches
  10. N 95 Mask
  11. Kitty Litter
  12. Case of water
  13. Blankets
I think I have covered everything in the car kits, as I said before if this doesn't look complete it is because they do have stuff in the packs.
 
If you do get stranded here are a few things to remember.
 
Stay with your vehicle, if it is no longer safe to stay there, leave a note as to what direction or where you are trying to go.
 
Always make sure you have a least a half a tank of fuel ( just as easy to keep the top half full as it is to keep the bottom half full).
 
Only run your engine for a few minutes at a time just long enough to warm it back up or cool it down ( this way you conserve fuel).
 
If you are stuck in the snow make sure the tailpipe isn't blocked ( Don't want carbon monoxide backing up into the car).Also when running your car be sure to crack a window open.
 
I hope you are never in a position to need this, but what a piece of mind knowing that if you do have a emergency you are better prepared to handle it. Especially knowing your teenagers have it in their vehicle's
 
Please feel free to suggest other items.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

14 comments:

  1. I have pretty much the same things in each of our cars plus I have blankets.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I have blankets also, totally forgot to put it on the list. Going to go and do that right now.
      Connie

      Delete
  2. glo-sticks, folding knife, extra battery, PC condiments, metal mug and boonie towel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug,
      Very good ideas, We carry most of those things in our hunting packs which we always have with us. I will be doing a post next month on packs and what we carry in ours.
      Thanks and have a great day,
      Connie

      Delete
  3. I live in Michigan. I always carry a Snow shovel. It will come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A snow shovel is a very good idea, My husband and I carry shovels in our trucks all the time. I haven't got one in the girls vehicles yet, something I absolutely need to get done, especially with all the snow we are getting.
      Thanks and have a great day,
      Connie

      Delete
  4. Where are the jumper cables, multi-tool, knife, first aid kit, and "self-protection tool?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you read the whole article you would see the jumper cables are in a separate bag with some other things, also some of the missing things are in the packs that I said I would be going over next month. As far as self protection I choose not to share what or where they are but rest assured each vehicle has some and each person knows how to use what ever it may be.
    Have a great Day,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone need special meds; blood pressure, etc. I need to keep a days supply with us at all times. small plastic/paper plates, spork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely, If you are on any meds you should always have a few extra with you. That night My daughters boyfriend's grandmother had to stay with us she had just filled her prescriptions so she had some with her, but had she not just filled it she would of not had any.
      Have a great day
      Connie

      Delete
  7. and a 'pee funnel' so the ladies do not have to strip in the gentle breeze of the snowstorm! Walmart automotive funnel http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/multi-purpose-funnel/6000162308056
    got the best rating from the hiking/backpacker article I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth,
      That is so funny that you said that I had a conversation with my daughter a while back about that. When she was doing her wild land fire training for the fire department she was saying the girls had to use them. I thought that was a great idea she thought it was horrible lol. Told her I wanted one, have to admit I never thought of using a plain funnel. I am have to get one for the girls and myself, I am pretty sure the girls reaction will be well worth it lol.
      Have a great day.
      Connie

      Delete
  8. We recently completed our emergency travel box too. In addition to a case of water, we put fruit roll-ups, trail mix, graham crackers, and plenty of cans of tuna fish. My friend actually recommended that we stop buying the cans of tuna and opt for the sealing bags. This way you can mix in some mayo and still close up the pouch.

    Wilbert Bowers @ Mirr Ranch Group

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilbert,
      The pouches are such a great idea, That is what I use in my kits and packs they are so much easier to pack and open, you don't have to worry about a can opener or with the can that you can open without a can opener you don't have to worry about them getting hit or bumped open.
      Have a great day
      Connie

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.