Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Canning Pickled Beets

We didn't plant any beets this year but Travis gave us a bag of them so I was able to do up a few.


10 to 15 med sized beets
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
2 cups white vinegar
1 tea. allspice
1Tbl. cinnamon
1 tea. cloves


Start by washing the beets. Then put in a large pot cover with water and cook until fork tender. Depending on the size it can take 30 minutes to a couple hours.


 
Take out and put into a bowl then peel the peels should just slid off. Some of the larger ones you will have to peel.

 
Then slice into  about 1/4 inch slices or you can cube them.



Pack into your jars.
I wait until I see how many jars I have then I can figure if I need to make more juice for them.
 
In a med pan combine your sugar, water, vinegar, cloves,allspice,cinnamon.and cloves. Bring to a boil and boil for about 10 minutes. Make sure the sugar is all dissolved.
 
 
Pour liquid in the jars over the beets leave a 1/2 inch head space.
 
 
 
run a nonmetallic utensil down inside the jars to remove the air bubbles. Wipe jar tops and threads clean. Put hot lids and rings on jars  process in a waterbath canner for 30 minutes.
I like to let mine sit a month or so I don't know if is necessary to but I always do.
 
I got 8 pints out of that bag not to bad.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.