Monday, December 12, 2011

Freezing and Dehyrating Onions

I go to Napi every year and buy enough Onions and Potatoes to last all year this is what I do with the onions I will write about the potatoes at a different time This is so nice I always have onions and when they are out of season I’m not paying those high prices.
Freezing Onions
    I peel them and quarter them and put them in the food processor to chop them then I put them in quart jars leave about an inch of head space I use old flats on them put the rings then put on date and put in the freezer. I keep a jar in the fridge at all times then when I need chopped onion I just get out how much I need. When I empty ajar, I pull one out of the freezer and put in the fridge then it will be thawed out when I need it…
    I also freeze onion slices I cut the ends then peel then cut in half and then slice I put these in sandwich bags about 1 ½ cups worth then I put about 8 of the smaller bags of onions in a double Ziploc bag I double the large bags so the taste and smell of the onions don’t seep in to the other foods ( if you reuse you baggies as I do this is a good use for the used ones )
Drying Onions
    I cut the ends off and peel then I slice them about 1/8 of an inch thick lay them on the trays and dry on med. until they are brittle. After they have dried, I put them in the food processor and chop them. You can store them in quart jars or in baggies, I like the quart jars they are

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.