Monday, February 20, 2012

Canning Pinto beans

I can a lot of pinto beans in the winter then when we are so busy come spring and fall and are not getting in until late I can open a couple jars of beans ands have supper there are two ways that I do them one with bacon and one with out bacon the ones with out bacon I can use for refried beans and in chili the ones with the bacon I just warm them up to eat they already have the seasonings in them and are ready to go.
I like this recipe because there is no need to pre-soak the beans.


Canning Pinto Beans with Bacon
In a quart Jar put
1/2 slice of bacon
¼ cup chopped onion
1 ½ tsp Salt
¼ tea Onion Salt
½ tsp. Garlic powder
½ tsp chili powder
1 1/3 cup dry pinto beans

Fill Jars with boiling water to 1 inch of top seal and pressure for 90 min at 15 pounds of pressure. ( this is for altitudes above 6000 to 8000 feet)
For pints use ¾ beans and process for 75 minutes

Canning Pinto beans with out bacon
In a quart Jar put
1 ½ tsp salt
¼ tsp. onion salt
½ tsp. garlic
½ tsp Chili powder ( optional)
1 1/3 cups dry pinto beans


Fill Jars with boiling water to 1 inch of top seal and pressure for 75 min at 15 pounds of pressure. ( this is for altitudes above 6000 to 8000 feet)
For pints use ¾ cup beans and process for 50 minutes
This can be used in any recipe calling for canned beans.

4 comments:

  1. In your recipe "Canning Pinto Beans with Bacon" that is no measurement for the bacon (( unless this is the "low fat" recipe - HAHA )). Could you please describe how you prepare the bacon and how much you put in each jar? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Oh goodness, I never realized I hadn’t put the bacon in the recipe lol. I will go back and fix it . I put half a slice of bacon per quart.
      Connie

      Delete
  2. These recipes seem to use more salt than I normally use. Will cutting the quantity of salt affect anything other than taste? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.