Friday, February 24, 2012

Freezing and Drying Onions

As I have said before I buy onions once a year, about now I have to do something with the ones I have not used yet. So I freeze and dry them. The frozen ones are nice in dishes that call for chopped onions or sliced onions. The dried ones I use for onion salt and onion powder or for dried chopped onions.

Freezing Onions: Soo easy

Chopped onions
I peel and then cut into quarters and run them thru the food processor to chop them (or you could just chop them with a knife) then I just put them in quart jars and put them in the freezer. To use I take a jar out and put in the fridge until thawed then use as much as I need and keep the rest in the fridge until I need more.
Sliced onions you just peel then slice into the sizes you want I put in to fold top sandwich bags then put in to gallon freezer bags then put in the freezer that way I can take out a small bag as needed for stir-fry or fajitas or where ever I need sliced onions

Dehydrating Onions:

You can chop them or slice them I prefer slicing them they are easier to put on the tray sliced dry at 120 for about 12 to 24 hours stirring the chopped onions once ( you do not need to do that if they are sliced ) and rotate the trays once or as needed

To make onion powder put the dried onions in a blender until they trun to powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.