Monday, February 27, 2012

Preserving eggs: Part One Dehydrating

My chickens are laying an overabundance of eggs so I am going to share what I am doing to keep some so I have some on hand when they are not laying as well today I will talk about drying them then tomorrow about freezing them and last about how to keep them on the shelf for up to a year depending on where you store them

I have found two ways of drying eggs I prefer the raw egg I think the eggs turn out better when recooked and don’t taste like powdered eggs like the cooked egg dehydration

Cooked egg dehydration Take your eggs and whip them real good then cook them in a non stick skillet do not use any oil when they are done put them in the dehydrator at 120 degrees until completely dry take out and crumble then run through a blender or food processor to make a powder the finer the better.

Raw egg dehydration is to put into a bowl and beat the more you beat them the better. Put into jars, freeze them, then thaw them (they will be thicker now, better for drying), you will need to put plastic wrap or foil on your trays unless you have roll-up trays I have a larger square dehydrator so I put mine on cookie sheets to dry dehydrate 120 degrees for . approx 18 to 24 hours Handle em a little while drying to speed and improve drying.
When COMPLETELY dry, run through blender, Powder them as fine as you can, the finer the better I just read on another board: 145 degrees for 4 hours then 120 degrees until dry. this was for raw egg dehydration.

To use 1 part powder to 2 parts water (1 Tablespoon of powder and 2 Tablespoons water equal one egg)


To Store I put mine in a quart jars and freeze. You can put into a pint jar (1 pint jar equals 22 powdered eggs.). Fill jar almost full, put in a little dry ice put lid on loosely. When dry ice is gone, seal jar tight. Freeze until needed or will store nicely at room temperature. I have not tried the dried ice but as soon as I get more dried I am going to try it, I have always froze mine but if there is no power you won’t be able to keep them in a freezer.
I have been told you can dip the eggs (in the shell) in boiling water for 10 seconds before breaking the shell. This kills the Salmonella. Then you can dry them raw or cooked

Don’t forget to keep your shells Dry them, grind into powder and use for calcium. Can be given back to the chickens or taken yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.