Thursday, December 6, 2012

Self Sustaining Pantry. Week 1 & 2



Self Sustaining Pantry. Week 1 & 2

I wrote a few weeks ago about having a self sustaining pantry and was going to post every week what had been done the previous week and some of the plans for the neat week but things here got busy so I am behind and will do two weeks worth today.

Also Daisy over at organic pepper has a really good article here on what you don’t want in your pantry and why.

 

 

In The last two weeks I found 50 lb bags of onions for 8.95 and bought 250 lbs I will can, freeze and dry these to use all year long. This time of year I buy a years worth when they are on sale.

We went to Napi and bought potatoes they wee 5.50 for a 50 lb bag I bought 500 lbs which I will dry, can and freeze and will keep some stored in a cool place to eat fresh.

I cooked down the turkey bones and got 3 quarts and 15 pints of turkey broth that I can use in place of chicken broth.

Our local store had sour cream on sale a dollar a tub I got 20 I will  freeze some and dry some.

Used some leftover turkey to can 5 pints of chicken (turkey) chipotle taco meat.

I got a bag of rags from the thrift store ( it is mostly T-Shirts) that I will use to cut out Hankies and family cloths.

Dug up about 15 pds of carrots from our garden ( carrots were about the only thing that did any good this year.)
 
Planted my garlic I was a little late but the weather has been so nice I think it will be ok.

Since turkeys were on sale I bought 4 and put in the freezer to can at a later date.

Pasta was on sale for 59 cents a pack so I got 20 spaghetti and 20 macaroni I like to have these on hand for when I don’t have time to make my own.

 

So next week I would like to start putting up the onions and potatoes.

Make some jerky from the deer meat.
Dry sour cream
Make soap.
Can some butter.

I am hoping I will have time to do these things plus getting ready for Christmas and two collage graduations this month.

 

 

 

 

 





16 comments:

  1. Wow, how do you dry sour cream and what do you do with it once dry? I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie,
      Thanks for stopping by, I am going to do a detailed post hopefully by the end of the week on drying sour cream. You can rehydrate it and use like sour cream it’s not as thick as fresh sour cream but doable.
      Connie

      Delete
  2. I did not know you could freeze sour cream. Can you use it as fresh after thawed?
    I need to find a good deal on onions, justed used the last of my frozen from my garden.
    found you by the way of Homestead Revival Barn Hop!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Who knew you could dry sour cream? I didn't know you could freeze it either. I once tried to dry some potatoes as an experiment and they looked awful, so I tossed them. You've got to share your secrets on this stuff.

    I had an old sheet that was shot down the middle, but the edges were great, so I turned the edges into hankies. Then, I cut up the middle for the rag bag. It was fun. And after your example, I dehydrated some onions. They seem OK. Looking forward to your instruction posts.

    brenda from ar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, I will be doing a post on both things soon I hope to get the sour cream post done this week. I love old sheets there is so many things you can do with them. Thanks for stopping by.
      Connie

      Delete
  4. You are a very busy lady :) I like to put up my own food too! I would love to have you join us over at Wildcrafting Wednesday!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2012/12/wildcrafting-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do you use for your jerky? I have some deer meat in my freezer that I've been waiting to turn into jerky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I will be sharing how I do jerky soon. Thanks for stopping by.
      Connie

      Delete
  6. Wow! you were super busy, I'm impressed. I look forward to learning more about drying sour cream.
    See what I'm up to at: www.kshippee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kai, Thanks for stopping by can't wait to check out your blog.
      Connie

      Delete
  7. I would love to know where you found such amazing deals on onions and potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C.A. I am very fortunate to live close to where they grow these things.
      Connie

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for joining us on Wildcrafting Wednesday! I always love to hear what others are doing to become more self sustaining :) Can't wait to see what you link next week!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.