Monday, December 3, 2012

Canning Turkey (or Chicken) broth

 
I didn’t have to cook a turkey for thanksgiving but the girls and I love turkey ( Andy not so much, he is more a beef kind of guy) so I cooked one a few days ago. After we were done with it I made broth and canned it out of the bones. It is very easy to do and since I use a lot of broth in my cooking saves me having to buy so much. Plus it is better and has no added ingredients.




First I put all the bones and skin in my roaster. It was the roaster that I had cooked it in so there was a little juice left from the turkey.




Then I added four onions I had cut up.
 

 
 
Filled it with water and let it cook for 24 hours. About half way through I added a little more water.

 
 
 
It smells so good.
 
 
 
 I got another roaster pan and a colander, I used a smaller pan to dip the broth into the colander to strain the broth from the bones.
 
 
As you can see there is a few small pieces in the broth I leave these in but if you want a clearer broth you can strain through some cheesecloth.
 
 
Then I poured into my jars and added my rings and lids. I
 processed for 75 minutes for pints at 15 pounds of pressure ( be sure to check your canning book to see how many pounds of pressure for your altitude) 90 minutes for quarts.

I got 15 pints a 3 quarts out of the one turkey not to bad.

10 comments:

  1. In regards to the broth making, was it the oven you cooked it in for 24 hours or stove top? If oven, at what temp? Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cooked mine in a roaster at about 250 you can cook it on the stove or in the oven at about 250 to 300 degrees or even in the crock-pot.
      Connie

      Delete
    2. Many thanks for this. Showed it to the missus and she was impressed. I do want to do this myself as she has enough on her plate, so to speak.

      Delete
  2. Love this. I plan on doing the same. I put my bones in the freezer until I am ready to make the broth and am going to load up my extra large crock pot when I do.

    And then I plan on cooking the bones twice to get more stock.

    Great post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Randi
      I to have bones in the freezer wating to get enough to do a beef broth. It is so nice to be able to use something you would normally throw away.
      Connie

      Delete
  3. I made some turkey stock, put it in a pickle jar, covered the top with saran wrap, then the lid and froze it. When thawed, it smelled like pickle broth, despite the fact that the jar and lid had been scrubbed well. Won't do that again.

    brenda from ar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda,
      Pickle jars are bad I put sugar in on once all the sugar tasted like pickles.lol
      Connie

      Delete
  4. I have been freezing the broth I make, but I like the idea of canning it. I would have to invest in a pressure canner-- I have only done water bath canning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, Thanks for stopping by. A pressure canner is a great investment. I have two and during the busy season I have two going a one time. If you have done water bath stepping up to pressure canning isn't very hard and there is so much you can can with a pressure canner.
      Connie

      Delete
  5. I have canned broth too and find that it comes in so handy when you want to make a quick soup or gravy. Thanks for sharing your method on Wildcrafting Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.