Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Dehydrating Strawberries



I ordered a flat of strawberries from bountiful baskets we ate a few then I decided to dehydrate the rest of them dehydrating Strawberries is pretty simple. There is no pretreatment required

I soak mine in vinegar water for a few minutes to clean them.
 
Then take off the green top  and thinly slice, lay slices  on your trays. ( Sorry didn't get a pic of them on the tray).

 
Dry at 125 degrees it will take about 12 to 18  hours to dry they  will be hard when dry.
 
If drying in the sun it will take 1 to 2 days
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To use
1 cup boiling water to 1 cup dried strawberries, pour boiling water over dried strawberries soak 3 to 4 hours pour off any remaining liquid.  
Strawberries may be refreshed and used in any dish calling for fresh strawberries or you can use teh dried chopped strawberries in cake,cookies or bread mixes
1cup dried yields about 11/2 cups refreshed
 
 

10 comments:

  1. I am doing to have to try this when My strawberries ripen. I usually freeze them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      This is so nice because it won't take up room in the freezer. I am trying to cut down on my freezer items so I can get rid of a freezer.
      Take care,
      Connie

      Delete
  2. I usually make jam or freeze. If we get a decent strawberry crop this year, will have to try drying some.
    I have bought freeze dried strawberries and used them. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra,
      I have been wanting to try the freeze dried, May have to get some now since I didn't get many fresh this year.
      Take care
      Connie

      Delete
  3. Have you ever made jam from dehydrated strawberries (during winter months when there are no strawberries)? If so, how do you know how much to rehydrate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To rehydrate use 1 cup dried strawberrys to 1 cup boiling water this will be about 1 1/2 cups strawberries then just use as you would fresh.
      Take care
      Connie

      Delete
  4. This is just awesome! I LOVE seeing your tips and tricks, I've used a couple of them and I cannot wait to continue to see what other goodies you have in store :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelsey,
      Thank you, it is so nice to know that I am giving others tips that they can use.
      Take care
      Connie

      Delete
  5. Why "boiling" water?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message or comment. Love to hear from you.